Cuisines

Monday, August 19, 2013

Slow-cooker Venture

Jamaican Stewed Peas before cooking
I do love my slow-cooker, especially during Winter. I often just chuck stuff in right before bedtime and wake up to an aromatic house. Honestly I think the smell wakes me up most of the time. LOL

So I've used my slow cooker over 4 times in the past week and a half, because my cooker is so big, I generally make a massive pot enough to feed 6 people - but there's only me. So I get sick of left overs really really fast. My friends and colleagues at work have been dragged into

tasters of my slowcooking venture. So far I have made Chinese Soups, Jamaican Stew and also an Italian dish.

Stewed Peas ah Ready!
Here's the Jamaican Stewed Peas recipe:
Ingredients
  • 2 tins of Red Kidney Beans
  • 1 can of coconut milk
  • 1 ham hock
  • 1 pack of gravy beef/chuck steak
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 3 clove garlic chopped
  • 1 tspn ginger
  • bunch of spring onion
  • bunch of thyme
  • Chili (I added lots)
  • sprinkle of allspice, cloves, cinnamon
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
And basically you just chuck everything in the slow cooker and wake up to deliciousness! This is such a comfort food dish for me and always brings a smile to my face. The authentic Jamaican version would have pigs tail instead of hamhock and also spinners (little doughy fingers that I was too lazy with)

Before: Chicken Cacciatorie

And the other thing I made was Italian Chicken Caccaitore, though it was ok for me. I have friends who raved about this dish, but maybe I used too much liquid and it was too soupy. Even though I left the lid off 2 hours before end.

But the slow cooker is great for Chinese soups! OMG why haven't I been doing this before? I looove soups, my family used to nickname me "Tong Wun" aka Soup Bowl because I would just drink bowls and bowls of soup everytime at dinner. I made Ginseng Chicken soup and also Dried veg with pork bones, carrots and shitake mushroom soup and they were great!

No comments:

Post a Comment