Cuisines

Monday, July 11, 2011

Beef and Bean Stew

Seems like I've been in hibernation mode since the beginning of Winter. I have been cooking but just not as often, and the last dinner party I had was hot pot...aka minimal cooking.

My favourite things to eat during the shivery winter months are stews/soups (plus it's also a one pot wonder)

Last week I made a Cajun seafood gumbo - sorry I forgot to take pictures, but mark my words - it was absolutely delish.

Since then I've been craving Oxtail and beans but was a bit too lazy to shop so I made do with the beef cut I had in my freezer -this actually cut down my cooking time (score!) As I was rather disappointed when I checked the recipe again after I had everything happily bubbling away that the stew would take 4.5 hrs to cook!!! I wanted to eat it tonight!!!

Lucky with the beef chunks diced into bite size, the stew was basically (I was too hungry to wait longer) ready in 2 hrs.

Beef and Beans Stew
  • Onion
  • Garlic
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Potato
  • Herbs
  • Butter Beans
  • Butter
  • Can of Tomato
  • Stock
  • Worcestershire Sauce
  • English Mustard
  • All Spice
  • Nutmeg
  • Cinnamon
  • Pepper & Salt
  • Chili flakes (for an extra kick)
Melt Butter in oil, Brown meat, add onion and garlic,
Add all vegetables til soften, add herbs
Add can tomatoes, stock, sauce and mustard
Add seasoning,
Cover and simmer for 35 mins
Add Butter beans, cook for another 20 mins til everything is soft and liquid has boiled down.

No comments:

Post a Comment