Cuisines

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Random cooking

I really like to menu plan, whether it's days ahead of the next dinner party where I spend hours on the internet searching for the perfect recipes to fit whatever cuisine that tickles my fancy, or mere hours before my imminent meal. Basically I like to know what I'll be cooking and eating.

Such was not the case when I went to visit Mami the other night to help babysit her gorgeous brood of 3. I arrived later than expected due to work commitments and of course I was starving.

I know she had just grocery shopped the previous day, with the evidence lying all around the kitchen. I was excited at the prospect of whipping up something yummy for the kiddies and myself.

But then, the challenge came,I was informed the food stock available is to last for 2 weeks which dismally limited my resources. Other criteria being yummy, nutritious, filling and vegetarian friendly since Mami is a Pescetarian. After raiding her cupboards and fridge (this is turning out to be very much like a Mystery Box Challenge on Master Chef!), I decided to make a vegetarian pesto risotto, topped with some fried sausage pieces for the kiddos and I, who devour meat like there's no tomorrow. I know the presentation is not fantastic, as I only remember to take a picture after nearly finishing half my portion...ooops

Pesto Vegetarian Risotto

Ingredients

  • Aborio Rice
  • Chopped Broccoli
  • Chopped Cherry Tomatoes
  • Sliced Red Cabbage
  • Shredded Carrots
  • Vegetable Stock
  • Pesto Paste
  • Mixed Spices
  • Mixed Herbs
  • Pepper & Salt
  • Butter




Directions


Melt butter, add rice, add vegetables and stock, cook until rice is soft with continuous stirring
Add Spices and Pesto paste
Topped with fried chopped sausages and a bit of cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment