Cuisines

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Afro-Inspired Night

Honestly, I've actually never had African food before, despite many intentions to visit the Ethiopian and other African eateries in town, somehow just never made it.

And last week was the 2nd time I've been to a Moroccan themed restaurant - Souk in the City, which was amazing but I'll leave that review to my friend Teeny Tiny on her blog -

This week I invited my friend Cartoon Dude and his Jetlagged Buddy to join me while I test out some new recipes. Initially they had requested I make Jerk chicken or Jerk Pork but guys u missed the boat - maybe nx time.

So on the menu tonight which is supposed to be Afro-inspired, we have: Harissa Marinated Chicken, Corn and Squash Fritters, Roasted Vegetable Frittata and a Pineapple salsa.

I wasn't quite happy with how the Harissa marinate came out (I did try following the recipe initially) and then decide to modify it a tad. It became rather thick and had a peanut/satay sauce consistency. The guys thought it rather resembled Jerk Chicken (wistful thinking on their parts). I thought it was tasty, rather spicy (not chilli hot) but rather full of flavour and spice, there was: cumin, cinnamon, coriander, cardamom, nutmeg, all spice, dried chilli, ginger, garlic, soya sauce, sherry, salt and pepper in the marinade.


My friend gave this MASSIVE organic Squash the other day and I've been racking my brains as to what to do with it. I've managed to use up half of it tonight in 2 of the dishes. Both the Frittata and the Fritters. Is it me, or do they both sound a bit similar and very easy to mix up?

The Frittata is similar to a quiche but without the pastry base, though somehow the colouring of mine one came out not as pretty as I hope. While the Fritters are similar to Falafels.

Mine was a bit labourous as I grated the squash and added it to the batter mix of: eggs, corn, coriander, onion, garlic, ginger, flour, water, capsicums and salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment