Cuisines

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Jamaican Night

The cold wet weather is making me miss my home - Sunny Hot Jamaica, so I decide to make some Ja'can food to help cure my homesickness. When you talk to anyone about Ja'can food the first thing you'd hear utter is Jerk, Jerk this and Jerk that.

Many people have asked me what and why "Jerk" (as they snicker away). It is just the name of the marinate we use for bbqing or grilling meat. It has such intense flavours - tangy, spices, sweet, peppery and chilli. Imagine there's this burst of flavours in your mouth having a party. It is best paired with Red Stripe Beer, unfortunately I couldn't locate any for tonight. But I did have some Malibu with Strawberry Liqueur & Lemonade cocktail - yuuuum

I personally Loooove Soup, any type of soup. For my dinner party of 7, I also made some Red Peas Soup. The thick soup with sweet potatoes and coconut milk and bits of Red Kidney Beans and Spinners made this a very satisfying entrée. Actually the soup alone could have been a meal on its own for me. But since I wanted to make sure all my guests are very well fed, oxtail stew was also on the menu. This is one of my all time favourite stews. By the end of the night, not even the boys had seconds because there was just so much food! My fridge is now well packed and it's just the way I like it!


Red Peas Soup

Ingredients

- Can of Red Kidney Beans
- Can of Coconut Milk
- Sweet Potato diced
- Green Capsicum diced
- Carrot diced
- Onion diced
- Garlic minced
- Chilli chopped
- Parsley
- Soup Bones blanched
- Spinners (dough fingers)

- Seasoning : Allspice, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Mixed Herb

Salt & Pepper

Directions


- Add everything (but parsley & salt) to pot, fill with water and cover.
- Blend half the soup and then return to pot, add parsley & salt
- Serve with fresh bread


Jerk Chicken



Ingredients


- Scallion
- Onion
- Thyme
- Oil
- Soya Sauce
- White Vinegar
- Chilli
- Garlic
- Allspice, Nutmeg, Cloves, Cinnamon, Brown Sugar, Pepper


Directions

Add everything to food processor/blender, mix and then marinate meat over night. Cook meat on BBQ grill or Bake in Oven

No comments:

Post a Comment