Cuisines

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Singaporean Night

This was probably 3-4 months ago and I thought I already wrote about it, but guess it slipped under the radar. I consider myself a pseudo honorary Singaporean, all began over 10 years ago with my very first bf (Dr PJ) - he first introduced me to all things Singaporean back in Jamaica. So by the time I got to Sydney I joined the Singaporean Society on campus and was also on the committee, organising parties and outings. Some of my closest friends to this day are Singaporean.

So I decided to do them proud (not really) and try out my skills with some Singaporean dishes.
There was the Hainese Chicken Rice (not quite there), Curry Devil (yum! but not quite either), Chilli Prawns (closer but no) and just some steamed green veg. Who knew Singaporean was so difficult to make! Uuuggggh - so annoying. Now I dunno if I'll want to do this again....

Funny thing was my flatmate offered to help me that night and she was in charge of the rice. And we ran out! OMG most embarrassing. Whoever runs out of rice and it was Chicken Rice too, so good.

My ex flatmate NerdyGirl used to make Curry Devil, and wow it was sooo good, so spicy but sooo good that you can't stop eating. Her mom made some for me when I went to visit her last year. BLISS

Curry Devil
  • Chicken
  • Tumeric
  • Onion (LOTS)
  • Mustard seed
  • Chilli
  • Garlic
  • Ginger
  • Potato
  • Vinegar
Directions

Heat oil, fry seasonings, fry onion, add chicken, add potato, and vinegar and water. cover



No comments:

Post a Comment